HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Berraga Barrels
Thread: Berraga Barrels
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 05:24 AM
Breechplug
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Hunter1963
I am curious if these barrels are really any good. What's the advantage of these over a "standard" barrel that comes with the gun?

Help me understand these barrels!

Bergara Barrels are made with a (5) step process
Step 1 (Barrel Straightening)
The barrel is to begin with a straight bar of cylindrical steel. Bergarra inspects and straightens every barrel amnufactured to a deveation of less than 4/1,000 or (.004") of an inch. Many barrel manufactures never even evaluate this aspect of a barrel and consequently hinder the barrel's accuracy potential.
Step 2 ( Deep Hole Drilling)
Once the barrel is straightened, the bar moves onto the deep hole drilling machine where a four spindle machine precisley drills the correct diameter hole.
Step 3 (Barrel Polishing)
While most other barrel manufactures move directly from deep hole drilling to the rifling process, all Bergara Barrels pass through three seperate honing spindles. The honing spindles utilize diamond tipped bits that polish the barrel's interior surface to a mirror like finish with a groove diameter deviation of less than 8/1,000 or (.008mm) of a millimeter. It is the same result that many gunsmiths accomplish by hand-lapping a barrel.
Step 4 (Button Rifling)
The next step to producing a Bergara Barrel is the Button Rifling Process. A carbide rifling button is drawn through the barrel to produce rifling grooves at the appropriate twist rate for each caliber.
Step 5 (Stress Relieving)
The final step to producing a Bergara Barrel is the stress relieving process. This process ensures that the steel is free from any stress after the button rifling process.
The result of this five step process is a precision barrel so accurate that you'll never go back to your original factory barrel.
And in my own words I personally have never had a ML that shot as tight of groups as My ACCURA with the Bergara Barrel. It is everything Bergara said it would be. Plus unlike most other stainless steel barrels on MLers, a Bergara Stainless Steel Barrel is made from (Solid Stainless Steel) most others are just coated in stainless steel.
(BP)