HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Missouri Deer tagging and checking
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 06:17 PM
turkey guide
Fork Horn

Default Missouri Deer tagging and checking

Just a heads up to all. There are very specific tagging and checking rules for deer and turkeys in Missouri. You can quickly and easily find them by searching Missouri deer tagging and checking, or by simply looking on the back of your tags.
I have seen so many illegally tagged deer in the past few years it's not even funny. I just saw one in a picture here that had the yellow tag around the antler, which apparently is allowed in some other states. I do not personnally care except to keep others from getting in trouble and only mention this as a friendly warning.
The proper way to tag a Missouri deer, the only legal way, is to put the tag around the tendon at the knee joint of the back leg.
I have even seen Missouri outfitters who should know better, reccommend tagging the antlers, and this could get you in trouble. They have literally drawn you a picture on the tag and in all the literature that you should read before you hunt here. Don't risk getting in trouble over something this stupid, especially if you are posting a picture of your deer for all to see.
The reason for tagging this way is to keep the tag with the meat in a locker. The head and antlers is cut off for you to take home before the deer goes in, and the tag is left on the meat, while it is in the locker until it is almost completely processed. Once you have called and checked the deer you have proof that can be checked out that you own that head and you can mark it any other way you want to.
If there are any MDC officials reading this please let us all know if this is going to change or if it isn't a big deal please. For everyone else, this is just one of many rules you should know before you get tripped up.