HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Down in the dumps.
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Dollar Trifecta
Fork Horn

Default Down in the dumps.

Ive yet to kill a buck with my bow. Last week shot just high on a 5pt. And today a nice 6 pt that Ive had on trail cam came in. He comes in at 8 am I stop him at 30 yards and shoot. Shot felt good and looked just a tad back, back of ribs or so. I get down to meet my uncle and we decide to give it a couple hrs. About 10am we go back and find the arrow, its got green (gut shot) and alot of blood. We think it caught some liver, so decide to track...I mentioned waiting til dark but he felt confident the buck was dead. WE start tracking and the blood is very easy to find. Then after about 75 yards we lose blood. After searching some more the blood turns back up on a run, it leads us to a bed with blood in it. (Assuming we jumped it, prolly shoulda backed out decided not to) After the bed the blood was very plentiful and seemed to be leaking on both sides. About 75 yards later we lose blood again...and again pick it back up after searching different runs. The deer ended up crossing a stonewall fence that lead to a golden rod field. He must of stopped right after the fence debating which way to go, cause there was alot of blood. This was the last blood we found. I walked the entire field perimeter and looked at every possible area the deer exit. No blood. Also walked the whole field no sign. Back to last blood I went and tried to determine which way the deer went into the field. Couldnt find a single speck of blood anywhere! I was on my hands and knees looking at every leaf (which was wet with the mornings frost thaw). Any advice? I plan on going back out in the morn to look some more. So frustrated.....