HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stolen Deer
Thread: Stolen Deer
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

Same thing happened to me several years ago. One morning during bow season I had a buck walk right past my in the woods stand. I put an arrow right through the boiler and recovered it when I came down. The arrow made a complete pass through and the blood trail was adequate to let me know I could go right after it. I went about 150 yards and saw the deer laying in a hardwoods with another hunter standing over it. I walked right up the blood trail and saw that there was an arrow sticking out the neck in an odd slant. Then I saw another arrow sticking out of a tree about 10 feet up and back towards where there was a tree stand. The guy was a little sheepish and didn't challenge my kill or even argue about the legality. I took the deer to the check station and they said the other arrow went into the neck after the deer was dead. They could tell by the blood trauma associated with the wound. My original shot took out only 1 lung and nicked the heart. That guy actually saw the deer run up and dropped dead. He shot 2 arrows at it with the first going into a tree from the stand and the second through the neck from close range. If I hadn’t been right there I would have found a gut pile and drag marks.