HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Flushing on Command?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Phil from Maine
Boone & Crockett

I mean no offense either, but he was very steady on command. Even on his early hunts at a bird farm for training purposes he was in fact very steady. He needed freshening up on his retrieving skills. At 1 1/2 years old he was performing like a dog that was 4 to 5 years old. They were very impressed with him and the way he had hunted. Staying in close until told to go out a little farther and ect.. He was hunting just ringnecks on the farm with a few quail at that time.
Teaching a dog to flush has a lot to do with instint in the dog as well as the attitude the dog has.. ( the personality ). It also has ruined a lot more hunting dogs than most realize.. It is not something that I would recommend especialy if they plan on field trialing the dog..
Also the same thing with mine he flatly refused to flush a bird out. It was some thing I had to keep after.. That was a wrong move on my part. As for reasons stated above. As with someone new trying to teach a dog to simply point is a task all by itself at times..
But can it be done? Yes, I have seen some that can do both but it is not really recommended overall..