HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Flushing on Command?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 03:18 AM
mustad
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
lately our grouse and pheasants that are left have learned a new trick.they dont stay put while pointing dog is on point.they sneak off and then fly like 50 yds away from point.its funny, i was thinking of english setter because i thought pointing dog was easier to get grouse or pheasant, it was but now THEY RUN THEN FLY.

toby my lab puts grouse/pheasants up into air within about 20 yds of me because he is FLUSHER BEFORE THEY START TO RUN.those wise old birds are learning how to survive.problem is i have to have my shotgun ready at all times and flush scares the h out of you at times.MY ARMS GET TIRED HOLDING GUN UP IN READY POSITION as flush is quick and exciting,for sure.

just some things to think about
An experienced pointing dog will take this into account. Rarely will the birds flush, but they will often move off. This is one reason I like having my dog work close by (under 75 yards) when hunting grouse. Otherwise, the amount of time that it takes to get to the dog; the grouse has moved off quite a ways. I will still get a shot at the bird, but it takes a while to track it down. If the dog is getting too close so that the bird flushes off, he needs more experience.