HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help settle a recovery debate
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 12:59 PM
nodog
Giant Nontypical

!2 yrd broadside was most likely a high hit. Deer might be dead, good chance it's not, not within a hundred yards anyways. If he hit the shoulder he hit it high and a g5 isn't the kind of head that slices, more like punches a hole, thus no blood.

Tell the guy to stand as far away from his target as he was from that deer and see were the arrow impacts. I missed a deer earlier this year and after doing the same thing I know why. Changed my sights and killed the next 2 who were also close.

You guys need either a good tracking dog or find someone who has one. Used my untrained hound dog on the last one, simply amazing. I pity the creature that thinks it can eluded that dog. Even with all kinds of critters to distract him, he was full speed ahead with only putting his nose down every so often. I already knew most of the story before getting him, just didn't know the last part. Dog did in five minutes what took me an hour.

A deer of that caliber isn't going down easily. Got a be some of the toughest animals on the planet at taking a hit and surviving.

Does sound like he could've put in a better effort.