HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Could've arrowed him but.....
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Robert L E
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Beezer
How so? What's unethical about shooting a deer at night? It's illegal because it's dangerous. Just as shooting from a vehicle is illegal because it's dangerous. You have no idea what's behind your target and can't see it.
Beezer, you beat me to it. I'll add that shooting at night is unethical because it is illegal and not the other way around. I have seen times, when snow was on the ground and the moon was full, when stalking and hunting at night would have been possible without artificial light or night sights.

Everyone has their own ethical standards. For me, if it is legal, there would be not problem ethically with shooting the bedded deer. I do think it would be unethical to fabricate a story about a great stalk and shot though. I would be truthful when I talked about the "hunt". Here in Iowa, shooting that deer would probably have been illegal since a telephone call aided in the hunt.

I have no problem with seeing a deer from the camp cabin, putting on the required blaze orange, and going out side on to the porch and taking the shot. This would be legal as no radio or phone call helped.

One of the first deer I ever shot walked past me at 20 feet, five minutes after I got to where I was standing. Luck plays a huge part in hunting.

Bob