HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - taking a bow and a gun to the woods.
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 06:21 AM
bigtim6656
Giant Nontypical

Ihunt a ladder stand or on the ground. My thought is my stand is on about 5 good trails that will bringthe deer within bow range most time 20 to 30 yards. Buti have a full view of a bigbean field and know there are deer all over the field any given time. I am going to call the dnr office and ask them.
Originally Posted by HuntingEd
I do it quite frequently because I'd prefer to kill an animal w/ the bow, but more than once I didnt get to shoot really nice bucks becasue I had a bow during gun season. In most states (again you should check your own regs) you're allowed to hunt w/ a bow during firearms season as long as you have on orange. In fact I'll be doing it this weekend. It's not as hard as you think, I just carry a screw-in ez hanger for the bow and a screw in hook for the gun and hang both weapons from the tree, then you just pick up whichever you need. It can be cumbersome and I only do it if I'm going to a pre-hung stand, its too much w/ a climber...

Now throw in a decoy, food for all day hunt, extra clothes for warmth and a 1.5 mile walk like I'm doing this weekend and you better walk in with just shorts and a t-shirt on!