HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buck Fever how to fix and 09 Bow Buck
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 11:53 AM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

have you practiced from your stand??? alot of hunters seem to leave that out of their practice routine and cant shoot from a stand...

if you shoot alot pre-season, shooting should be 2nd nature...shooting builds muscle memory and everything SHOULD happen without you realizing you did it...

"buck fever" can be terrible for some people...i have a buddy like that...he can shoot his bow and rifle pretty decent..but ive seen most of his kills and NONE were good hits..all killed and/or dropped the deer on the spot...but all were TERRIBLE as far as placement goes...

just slow down...calm yourself...draw back...PICK A SPOT...release and hit your spot...

i consider myself lucky...when its "go time" and i need to make the shot, "buck fever" is gone. i go into predator mode...im focused on making that shot...nothing else..i dont look at anything but the spot i want to hit before the shot...

sure i get excited when i first see a shooter...heck, this year, my leg was twitching like a dogs when you scratch that special spot...but once he started heading towards my lane, i went into predator mode and my head was clear..i was focused on making that shot...everything happened naturally..i hit full draw and hit my anchors and knew everything was right...picked my spot and floated my pin and sent it...after the shot, thats when my emotions flood...i'll never forget when i shot my first deer..rifle kill...the guy i was with complimented how calm i stayed before the shot..said my rifle barrel was still as could be and it looked like i did that 100 times before...but after the shot he thought i was gunna pass out lol...

just gotta learn to control it and focus on the matter at hand....quit looking at that rack...quit thinking about anything other than making that shot...talk yourself through it if you have to...it helps get you through it...