HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Flushing on Command?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 07:47 AM
mustad
Typical Buck

I do it all the time. It is the final step in steadiness training and very handy when hunting wood**** (oh, come on... do you really need to bleep out the name of a bird) and grouse.

When you get your dog 100% steady, you will be able to relocate him with confidence that he is not going to bust the bird. If you're dealing with a running bird, you will relocate the dog on point. At some point, the bird will either flush or the dog will pin the bird. If the bird is pinned or frozen, you can try to relocate your dog, but an honest dog won't move. You know the bird is close. If I want him to flush the bird for me, I re-enforce the relocation. He understands this and will flush the bird out and then steady back up after the flush.

I don't think this is a very tough thing to do and will not effect the overall steadiness or pointing intensity of your dog assuming the steadiness work is properly done and he's honest. If your dealing with a self hunting dog that requires a great deal of pressure to steady up, it's a different story, but still doable. This is just another obedience exercise.

Good luck.