HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Awesome Night on Stand
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Screamin Steel
Typical Buck

Default Awesome Night on Stand

Got a late start last night but I knew I had to hunt, so I slipped down to my stand on the fence row behind the barn. I had previously seen no deer there on three sits this year, but frequent fresh sign told me the deer were atleast passing through at night if nothing else. My stand sits at the convergence of several fence rows that connect into a small 1 acre woodlot, just like spokes on a wheel with the tiny woodlot being the hub. Wind was perfect for this stand. Boy I didn't have long to wait. I had only been sitting for less than thirty minutes, when all at once all hell breaks loose about 75 yards from me and out of the woodlot runs two bucks, a six and a really nice, mature eight point. They started fighting briefly and the six broke free and took off, while the eight chased him away for about a hundred yards. When they stopped and had a stare down for a few minutes, then the eight started working a scrape. I started making some grunts, but couldn't get a response. Even a couple of snort wheezes and doe bleats wouldn't get his attention. He was intent on working his scrapes, but the small six seemed very curious and kept getting closer...trying to sneak in on the eight from behind and out of his line of sight. Well, he got to close and the big boy turned on him and charged, locked up with him and flipped him right onto his back and put him in the dirt. Off they went again, now going further and further away. Now they are over 300 yards out and for the next hour I can see the eight working back and forth along the treeline, working scrapes and licking branches, and occasionally running off the annoying yearling six pointer. Well I had just about given up, as they hadn't payed any attention to my calling, I forgot to bring my rattling bag, and shooting light was fading fast. I had been wtaching a cottontail in the brush under my stand when I heard a grunt and looked up and here came the big eight only fifty yards out coming slowly right down the fencerow to me. I have lots of cover in this big maple, so I began to sowly shift to make the shot over my right shoulder....and my safety harness caught on part of my treestand. Panic started to set in, as I tried to quietly get the strap uncaught...finally got it free and got positioned for the shot. Now he was at 40 yards but tree branches in the way...no problem he's still coming. Release is clipped on, I'm getting ready to draw when he goes behind the next limb....It's really gonna happen now.....All of a sudden I hear this happy sounding, pathetic, high pitched grunt and out of the brush pops that annnoying six point. The eight point let out a loud snort wheeze and charged him....Last I saw they were three hundred yards out again and shooting hours were over for the day. Man, I tell you, you don't have to shoot something to have an awesome hunt. I rode quite an emotional roller coaster. Things are really heating up now. No breeding yet, but bucks are going bonkers. saw two more bucks this am coming in to work and about a dozen doe. I can't wait. I have off work thursday and friday and I'll be in the tree all day, both days. It's prime time!

Last edited by Screamin Steel; 11-03-2009 at 04:04 AM.