HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ever lost a deer to coyotes??
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Breechplug
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by driftrider
Considering that the average weight of a male coyote is about 35 lbs, you can certainly understand why I'd be skeptical of any claim of abnormally large coyote being somewhat common. Feral dogs, after several generations of crossbreeding, often begin to assume features of wolves all the breeds are derived from, so if there is a well established population of multi-generation feral dogs they might be confused with their wild cousins. There are distinct differences between dogs/wolves and coyote, but to be sure you'd have to have a necropsy done.

But until proven otherwise, I'll take your word for it that what you have was a true coyote.

Mike
I understand you being skeptable Mike, but there's no feral dogs around here. Some of these damn Coyotes are so big around here that I've passed on them thinking they were someones pet dog. I still have to make really sure there a coyote befor I shoot one, and most of the time they get away as Im still trying to be sure there a coyote and miss on my opporitunity for a shot. As soon as my wife gets home from work I'll have her take a pic of the one I got. It measures 65" from nose tip to tail tip. That's a 5'5" Coyote
(BP)