HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Oregon Rifle
Thread: Oregon Rifle
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 12:06 PM
afp
Spike

Both my dad and uncle hunted extensively in Oregon from the late 40s though the mid 80s. My dad always used the Rem 721 Deluxe in 270 he bought in 1953, and my uncle used the pre M-70 in 30-06 he bought a few years earlier. Most of what my dad and uncle hunted were deer, but they would have used their trusty 270 and 30-06 on elk as well.

My Grandfather hunted in SW Oregon and Central WA, and he used the 30-40 Krag carbine he got sometime after WWI. he's use 180 grainers for deer and 220 grainers for elk. He was an excellent marksman. They wouldn't let him go fight in WWI but kepy him on at the USMC boot camp as a marksmanship instructor. He's make shots to 400+ yds on deer and elk with his Krag.

Dad, Unlce, and Grandpa--all of whom were/are (Dad is still around) better hunters than I'll ever be. The rifles they picked the beleived to be the best choices given their circumstances at the time. Those chamerings are still good choices today, and with the vastly improved bullet we now have, the 270 and 30-06 are performing even betetr than ever.