HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - head shot/ethics
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 06:43 AM
TFOX
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
exactly! why is it more ethical to shoot a front leg off shooting at the shoulder than to hit one in the jaw while shooting at the head?
ethics isn't where you aim, its about knowing your own limitations and staying within them.
Not what you do when folks are watching, its what you do when they're not.
RR

I agree with this completely.

First,let me say shoot them where you are confident you will kill them.None of my buisness.

But the reason most consider it more ethical is a head moves around a lot and it is a small target.If you shoot the jaw off the deer walks around for days starving to death.

I passed on a frontal head shot once because the deer was about 50 yards and the gun was not mine and I had no idea how the gun was sighted in for close yardage.

On a broadside shot,you have a MUCH bigger kill zone and it doesn't move around as much.

If you shoot a deer in the leg,it has a chance at survival,it will not starve to death(yes,it may get an infection and die).If you gut shoot a deer,it will die within a few hours,not days.

Both the high neck shot and head shot are extremely lethal and I believe I would take the high neck before a head shot.

Later guys,I am going hunting.