HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Knocked down a wall hanger!
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 02:05 PM
ArcticBowMan
Nontypical Buck

He looks to be an old bull that was beat up pretty bad during the rut. He had puncture wounds in his rear that were badly infected. There was a green color all the way through both hind quarters and half way up the backstraps. There were also brown and black spots in the majority of the meat, and his hip bones pushed his hide up about 2". His backstraps were about an inch thick, and his front quarters were twice the size of the rear quarters. This old boy was sick and I doubt he would have made it through the winter.

He was missing one long, thick point up top, one of his shovels was broken off at the hide, and he had seven smaller points that were chipped or broken. I've got some decent sized racks at the house, and the mass on this one dwarfs all of them. I'm not sure the pictures do him justice. His beams are over 50", shovel is 16" tall, and his back points are a little over 20". I green scored him around 360 P&Y, and figure he easily lost 20" due to broken points and the missing shovel. The camera was acting goofy, so I had to do some lightening up on the pictures and a few came out pretty grainy.

I salvaged what meat I could, but upon closer inspection at home, it was badly tainted throughout. All of the tendons and silver skin between the muscles was greenish yellow, and had a bad odor to it.