HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - butchers and how to keep all your meat.
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 04:22 AM
daveyrock
Fork Horn

I've just started processing my own deer this year and have to say, I should have been doing this from the beginning. I have never had a problem with my butcher and sawing the meat though I'm sure he does; I have never gotten a tainted piece of meat. That being said I'm worried that someday it might happen. I have also heard the stories of getting someones scrap meat added to yours and that just seems wrong. I like the quote above "do your own and you are guaranteed to get your own meat back" SO true....not to mention it has cost me roughly $200 bucks per deer at the butcher and that is just basic, best steaks and roasts the rest goes to sausage, jerky, and burger. I do it all myself now; kill it, skin it, bone it(the way I do it requires no sawing except the head and front legs), process it, eat it. Bought a grinder and dehydrator, was able to score a free woodchip smoker till we can get a better one. Plus I like the idea that I was able to do it myself, it adds more to the hunt that way.

Here is the first deer I cut up myself....I pulled quite a bit of scrap meat after this picture as well.