HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .223 for Deer Hunting
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 12:50 PM
ipscshooter
Boone & Crockett

[quote=drockw;3488525]
Originally Posted by ipscshooter
I was referring to the bullet only losing 500#'s of ITS energy through the process, not how much energy was transferred into the animal.

On the second quoted part, I totally agree with you and thats what I was saying... ITs how the bullet uses its KE that determines which does the most devastation. The one that destroys the most wins. Not the one that gets through by losing the least amount of energy lol
I think that, when comparing apples to apples, i.e. hunting bullets designed for the game being shot, the one that's still got 2000 ft lbs of energy upon exit will likely have destroyed the most on its way through.

My original post was in rebuttal to the concept that the bullet that expends all of its energy inside the game (i.e. enters but doesn't exit) is best (perhaps I was misinterpretting what tfox had said). My belief, based solely on thinking about it, and not on any actual tests on ballistic gelatin, is that such a bullet destroys less and less tissue as it loses velocity while moving through the animal.