HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What would be too far?
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 04:54 AM
LittleChief
Nontypical Buck

I practice regularly out to 70 yards and at 60 yards, I'm deadly on targets and foam animals. For hunting, however thirty yards is what I set my "ideal" hunting limit at. That's not to say I wouldn't take a 40 - 50 yard shot if the perfect opportunity arose.

That opportunity arose two days ago, and I tried my first long shot in a hunting situation - 50 yards on a doe standing still and broadside in a food plot with no wind. I was at full draw and my pin was settled good and I touched the release. This is only my third season bowhunting. Up until that shot, my record with my Drenalin was 12 draws on deer, 12 shots, 12 complete passthroughs and 12 deer recovered.

If you go out to the stand with the mindset that you're good at 60 yards on a target so a 60 yard hunting shot is a "gimme", you'd be making a mistake. You WILL NOT be calm and relaxed as you settle your pin for the shot like you are at your range. You WILL NOT be able to see all of the small branches and other obstructions 40 yards away. The majority of my shots have been in lower light (early or late), and an accurate 50 - 60 yard shot in the woods with low light while you're experiencing an adrenaline rush is a tall order to fill.

Oh, one other thing. You might ask what happened on my shot? That's my last bit of advice. NEVER forget that no matter how fast your bow shoots, the arrows don't fly FLAT. They ARC. Right now there's a $25.00 arrow setup buried in a 2" oak limb 25 feet off the ground 15 yards from the tree that I was set up in.

I'm a pretty good shot, and I don't lose my composure when a deer is in front of me, but I got so caught up in the moment that I forgot about the arc on a longer shot.