HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - wisconsin deer count
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 05:46 AM
PY Antlers
Typical Buck

I don't know where you guys are all from, but I would rather see more quality bucks rather than shear numbers of deer. I have lived in west central WI all my life and have been blessed with great deer hunting over the years..........as in being over run with does, fawns and small bucks. Not until I started bowhunting Iowa and Illinois did I realize what quailty deer hunting was. Don't get me wrong, my family basicly lives on venison. We shoot and eat at least 5 does a year not including any bucks we might get. I don't really support EAB, but I would like to see a size limit put on the bucks. It works in Mo and is catching on and working in PA. I bowhunt Iowa alot, and in a full day hunt there I might see 7-10 deer and 75% of those are bucks. Why? Because the state keeps there buck to doe ratio in check. Where I live the ratio is so bad, during an evening hunt I'll see 8-12 does and fawns and very seldom a buck. If I do see a buck, he's 2 1/2 years old or less. In the last 5 years I have taken 22 does and no bucks. I saw bucks, but they were all basket 8 points or less. Why is Buffalo county so different than the rest of the state? Because they have taken it upon themselves to manage there deer herd the way it should be.