HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - PieBald
Thread: PieBald
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 02:58 AM
Phil from Maine
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Big, ya did good, piebald deer are the first signs of the heard being overpopulated, and inbreeding. think about it, 1-260.000 carry the gene to make it possible for the offspring to be missing skin pigments, so 2 deer both carrying the gene crossed paths in your area, ya need to shoot a bunch of brown ones too! Think I've killed 2 piebalds and a few others with small white patches where they shouldn't be.
Congrats on your trophy.
RR
First of good for you on the piebald deer.. It looks quite a bit like the one me and my daughter saw on youth day hunting up here. Except the one we saw was a fawn and was white than that one except for the head, ears, and neck area. Congrats!!!

I am not sure if it is inbreeding or not. Up in this area there is not an awfull lot of deer and we are seeing more and more piebalds each year. So it is deffinately nothing to do with the amount of deer in your area that is for sure. I am thinking up this way it is more of a survival thing for the winter months than anything else. But it could possably be inbreeding from not having that many deer around.. Who really knows the answer? I did get one piebald once though with not even close to the amount of white this one shows..