HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .223 for Deer Hunting
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 06:42 PM
teedub31
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
this says its accurate

Ditto

very few people but one day I will take a deer at beyond 1 mile, my current best is 1,350 yards or .78 mile

sure but if your 10 years old and shooting a rifle that scares you its like going to school on a field trip looking foreward to it knowing your gonna get beat up by the local bully for your milk money

so your another great white hunter who has never made a bad shot, you must know alot about poor marksmanship, ethics are a personal matter which I do not discuss unless ya wanna hammer me about mine, which are mine alone and you obviously don't understand.
Why is it you didn't hit any of the points I made about the 223 being adequate for deer hunting, points which have been proven over and over again, but I recapped with what the 223 has done for the domestic side of shooting sports you had a comment about each one, have you ever deer hunted with a 22 cal rifle? have you ever saw a deer harvested with one? compared the bullet damage to a controlled expansion bullet from a larger caliber? Its pointless to go on, its obvious you don't know enough to know you don't know!

so an elk is roughly 7 times the weight of a deer, does it take 7000 ft/lbs of energy to take one? c'mon man join the real world, all your doing is depriving your kid of hunting, cause millions of deer have fell to less than 1K ft/lbs of energy.
RR

Never said I have not made a bad shot. I did take a shot at a deer that I never should have taken (walking at 200 yards, not my skill set) I regret that shot to this day. Luckily the deer traveled down a fencerow to my dad who killed him. With taht said, I have never made a bad shot on a deer that was within my skills (standing at no more the 125 yards). I don't shoot at running deer either.

I have no doubt that a deer can be killed with less the 1000 ftlbs of NRG. Hell I do it with about 80 lbs outta my bow, but the terminal performance from a broadhead is a lot different then that of a bullet. Anyhow, as far as depriving my kid from hunting is my choice not years. My opinion is largely derived from an experience I had with a friend of mine when we started hunting at 10. He was shooting at .45 cal muzzleloader loaded with a patched round ball sitting on 60 grains of powder. He could shoot baseball sized groups with his Hawken at 50 yards. Opening morning of his first day hunting he has a small buck broadside within 50 yards. He is hunting with his dad. Gets set pulls trigger and hit s the deer in the front shoulder. I am sure millions of deer have fallen to a 45 cal ML. just like this one did. Oh I forgot to mention, they found the deer a week later about 1/2 mile from the shot. First hunt first deer all a failure attibuted to a underpowered gun in the hands of a novice shooter that could cut holes from the bench. To this day, my friend still suffers confidence issues from that initial hunt. My kids has lots of time hunt in front of her. Why risk the future for a little fun and pleasure today should she suffer the same situation as my first hunting buddy did 2o years ago????