HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sister's getting a pistol... SW .40cal
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 05:53 PM
VAhuntr
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
My sister has wanted a handgun forever, sincerely for personal home protection, but I think she thinks pistols are cool at the sametime.

Finally said she's getting one.

It's a smith n wesson, in .40sw, which I had thought would be a lil better than getting a 9mm.

What do you guys think about a .40 vs. a 9mm?

I think a woman should be able to handle a .40 without much issue right? she's no wimp, I guess it doesn't matter as it's already on it's way I think.

Any suggestions? I told her she should get a light for it, my personal view is a light is the way to go vs. a laser, especially if youre awoken in the dark?

What about one of those night stand safes that open by your fingerprints I think?

I think I'm just as excited as she is about the new purchase!

It will probably depend on how much shooting experience your sister has. Many people find that some pistols chambered in 40 S&W have an uncomfortable snap to them. I prefer the 40 over the 9mm as long as the shooter is accurate with it.

Lights are fine but a good set of night sights is better IMO. For a defense handgun, the XS Big Dot night sights are awesome. I don't have any experience with the safes that you are talking about but they look interesting.