HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which would you choose........
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 08:12 AM
rather_be_huntin
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
Apples and Oranges, rather be huntin. Shot placement with any caliber is critical. No matter what the cartridge is if you hit the animal poorly you are in for a long track, or much worse a lost animal.
Yes, the choice of caliber is important, depending upon what game animal is being persued, however given that many of the calibers used today are so versatile, it matters little what is used and more where the bullet is placed to make a fast, clean kill.

I am very comfortable with the 7mm Ruger I posted about, as it is what I shoot. I know exactly where that bullet will strike everytime I squeeze the trigger. IMO, caliber is a personal choice for each hunter.

As a matter of ETHICS, shot placement is not. Shot placement IS EVERYTHING. We may agree to disagree, but, I believe that a poorly placed shot is among the worst things we can do as hunters.
Just to reiterate sconny we aren't necessarily disagreeing about placement. We are only disagreeing that caliber (cartridge) and even bullets aren't as important.

When ever I bring this up people always respond with an argument about how poor shooting is bad and doesn't make up for a large caliber. On that point we agree 100% and I'm not sure why people infer that I'm saying that is true. I'm only saying I believe there is more the equation.