HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - your favorite mechanical BH
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 11:29 AM
firefighter1976
Spike

I am currently shooting a Rage 3 blade and shot a nice 8 pt a week ago with mixed results. I have shot numerous heads over a 20 year hunting career and believe that many of the new mechanicals will do a fine job. As for the buck last week, the shot was a little high and may have deflected in an upward direction from the point of impact. I had no pass through and as the buck ran, I could see that the arrow was hanging down at angle with only 10 inches of penetration. I believe the broadhead may have struck the bottom of the spine where it came to rest. Unsure as to why the strange angle of penetration especially considering I was hunting from a treestand. I figure I either deflected off a rib or maybe a tree limb. The good news and the reason I will continue to use them, the entrance hole was very large and left a very good blood trail. The head, even though it struck the bottom of the backbone, remained in tact with no broken blades.

Another mechanical I highly recommend with great results is the Grim Reaper with cut on contact tip. I have shot three deer with these heads and had excellent pass throughs with excellent blood trails.