HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I finally got drawn!!
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 10:42 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on your moose hunt. He'll eat mighty fine!

A pic of me with the moose I called in for my partner. Friday am week awoke to a hard frost, headed to a spot that has proved itself over the years. We set up with the wind on our nose adjacent to a pine ridgeline on the opposite side of the creek. As the sun arose we could see across the creek that a moose had been their earlier as the frost was knocked of the vegetation. I figured we may have actually spooked him, so I started cow calling. My second set of cow calls I got a response from the ridge and after a few pleading calls he was on his way. My partner stayed put as I backed up into the willows to continue calling. My partner knew it would be best if the bull came across the creek to us but I wasn't to sure he could hold out being he hasn't killed many bulls in his life. Still sticking with the cow calls the bull apeared but hung up a touch, appearing nervous about not seeing miss. I decieded to get a little agressive with him and grunted a few times which brought him crashing out. Then using a shoulder blade I started raking the willows and then presented a flash of the blade for a visual. That was all he could take and he came a huffing, my partner put 1 in the base of the neck as he came trotting towards us, the bull dropped 30 yards or so from his position. He was shaking pretty bad and it took him a few minutes to calm to let out a yell...of that was freaky awesome! His first one who actually charged in. Special thanks to a bull who was cooperative this time, we were able to hook onto him with the ATV and pull him out of the muck to the trail vs dealing with him in the bush.
Attached Images