HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - deer ammo?
Thread: deer ammo?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 10:23 AM
popeye2
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by turkey guide
I preffer 125 gr. pointed soft points in my 308 Armalite AR-10. But I haven't found any factory loads anywhere. Have to have em specially loaded, to get the instant kill, zero tracking results I like for deer. The most common factory deer loads are 150 gr. bullets, which do an ok job if you like to track once in a while. I'm not sure why they load them so heavy, but they will do a decent job and are about the best you can get unless you experiment and load your own. Just my opinion after trying variuous loads for 30 years on over 100 deer. I know others have had good success with heavier loads too.
When I first switched from my first deer gun, a 30-30, using 130gr. accelerators, I was quite disgusted that my first few deer ran off 50 yds before dying. That never happened with my 30-30, so I was upset that my 30-06 didn't kill instantly too. So I looked into different loads and actually found 125 gr. pointed soft points for my 06 on the shelf. But only once, so 20 instant deer kills later I had to have them loaded. I find that my 308 does better with these bullets too.
Dude I need my hip-waders...