HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team Broadhead Bandits Thread (22)
Old 10-18-2009, 07:35 AM
jim1966
Nontypical Buck

Not to good of a day yesterday. Started off we got out there pretty early and just when we were getting ready to head into the stands I realized I had forgot my license back at home. Luckily I only live about 10 minutes from where I hunt. We finally got back and got in the stands a little late but still dark out. Sat for 4 hours and saw nothing. I always see something at least from this stand but I think because most of the fields are still up that the deer are holding up in the corn fields. Hopefully with the drier weather this week they will get out most if not all the fields before next week end. We decided to go check out another spot and when we got there the farmer was there and was checking to see if he would be able to harvest the corn there that afternoon. He was afraid that when the truck was full of corn that he wouldn't be able to get the truck out through the muddy fields. We decided to go ahead and walk back to a little wood lot that was in the middle of the standing corn. I really hate walking through standing corn but we did it anyways. I think that the deer head to this wood lot because its really flat and open all around it when the corn is out and you can see forever. This wood lot is in a field behind where I hunt all the time. I have thought for years this is where the deer go when they dissappear for m our hunting area. I for what ever reason didn't get permission to hunt this area until after last years hunting season ended. When we got back to the lot we busted 2 does out of it. It is only about a 50 yard by 70 yard wooded area. We decided to leave and come back when we can get in there in the morning and set up better. It has a natural spring in it and the farmer said there is always water in it for the deer to drink. we went back over to where we started out and didn't see anything. Later we decided to go back home and saw 2 does when we left. So for the day we did alot of walking alot of stand sitting and I only saw 4 does. My buddy did manage to see a buck with a messed up rack on it. It was one that I posted from the trail camera that was a long spike on one side and either 3 or 4 points on the other side. we opted not to go out again today hoping that the farmers will get the fields out this week and we can hit it hard all next week end.