HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Avid outdoorsman looking to become a hunter, advise needed.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:14 AM
iSnipe
Nontypical Buck

You posted some generalities in your thread. I recommend if you want help, is to start threads only asking about 1 to 3 questions tops, then that way people are more apt to help. If I see "...I would also like any tips, ideas, etc to look into or watch for. Also, if you have any equipment suggestions as a bow, clothing, scents, anything that I might need in this journey., then I look at that and think "WHERE DO I START??!!"

So my first tip is ask individual questions or keep it down to no more than 3 in a single post to get the best help.

And archery, the killing aspect of what we do, is not the hardest part of hunting. It's not even about being accurate. It's about being able to perform in the heat of the moment, to be able to pull off a shot while your adrenaline is flowing, your hair standing on end and you're wondering if the deer is going to hear your heart pumping! Yes, it's important to be accurate in archery, but as a rookie, most people will be accurate enough to kill a deer at 20 yards within 10 days of starting. It's being able to hit what you are aiming at while under pressure.

A big tip I'll give you on shooting your bow when you get it... to never ever just let an arrow fly. NEVER just shoot an arrow "for the fun of it". If you are going to take an arrow, place it on your string and rest, you might as well try as good as you can to hit what you are aiming at... every time.

Read up all you can in the past threads and keep an open mind. Even if you think you have a good grasp on a concept or technique, asking questions may also just give you another tip you didn't know. So keep asking questions!

Good luck,

iSnipe