HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bear defense gun
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 01:20 AM
elgallo114
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wlfdg
How many of you who answered here have had close encounters with grizzlies?
Not just been in bear country but have had that "OH S#!+!" feeling? Entirely too close for comfort?
Just curious.

Not Grizzlies, but black bear. Never had one attack me (Thank God, as I write this, I'm waiting the last four hours before leaving for deer camp....middle of black bear country.), but I've had several black bear challenges, and a few stalk me.

Every time, I was very close to a vehicle except once. And that bear seemed to just be content to help me wet my shorts as a slowly backed up 150 yards to the truck. He/she was pretty far away at first, but even at a leisurly walk, he caught up to me. When I hit my truck, it was only about 35 yards away.

All the challenges seemed to be false charges. Just to scare me out of their territory I guess. You can never guess why a wild animal will think you're a threat.

On one of those "false charges" the bear got within 20 yards of my partner, as he was jumping into the truck. As he did that, he emptied a 24oz bear spray can into the direction of the bear. Now it wasn't a direct hit, but that bear jogged right into the mist. Didn't seem to bother it a bit. It did grab his attention, but I didn't feel confident that it would have stopped him.

Since then, still carry bear spray, but would not rely on it. I'll spray him after I run out of bullets.