HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - honeysuckle
Thread: honeysuckle
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 08:08 PM
bowmanaj
Nontypical Buck

The deer are tearing up honeysuckle right now (atleast at our farm). I have 12 minutes of footage from Oct. 15, of them browsing on the honeysuckle directly under and around me. I was hunting a little hidden foot plot against cedars and thick honeysuckle, near a mock scrape. They sniffed and marked the scrape, and continued to eat nothing but honeysuckle until my handycam was out of battery power. Shoot me a pm if ya wanna see the footage.

Honeysuckle is desirable to the deer, maybe not so much humans lol... and as far as how high on the list of "preffered" foods it is, I do not know. But keep in mind this is Ohio county, Indiana and there is nothing but beans, corn, hay, and rolling hills of forest browse for miles in any direction. Obviously they have other choices for food. Granted the beans in the valley directly below our ridge are gone now, but there is a ton of corn still standing and plenty of other options. Tonight we are getting a "killing freeze", which hurts a lot of plants, but is a big plus for the brassicas. The deer are nibbling at the rape, but the next couple hard frosts should have the turnips and other rape plot becoming attractive to the deer..We'll see.