HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - muzzy or rage?
Thread: muzzy or rage?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 04:00 PM
dmounts
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbulls
I didn't post the video to show blade deployment but rather durability of different styles of broadheads but If you don't like that one then look at this one from 2009 with a Rage 2 blade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZRzBYuBIc4
Like I said, I was only commenting for people that watched the video and questioned the Rage 3 blade deployment issue....which was resolved in late 2007. I'm a fan of ANY broadhead that kills a deer! My bow is very well tuned, so I have shot both fixed Muzzy's and Rage mechanicals with no problems.

As for the two videos, being a mechanical engineer I can tell you the fixed blade broadheads will hold up much better shooting through steel and wood. Both the front and back side of the blade are attached to the main shaft of the head, which gives it greater rigidity on impact. It all depends what your shooting. I can't say for certain what will happen if the Rage hits a shoulder bone, as what would happen to any other mechanical. My only concern is hitting that deer in the boiler room. I will never take a shot (even if it a B&C deer) if I'm not 100% confident I will make a clean kill. Mistakes, tree limbs, jerked triggeres...they all happen. But every deer I have shot was hit in the lungs, heart or liver. In 20 years of bowhunting I have never hit a deer in the shoulder, unless it was on a quartering away pass thru that hit the opposite shoulder. I can only hope that if one day I do hit a deer in the shoulder with any broadhead, God will watch over me and make sure that deer doesn't suffer. As hunters we owe it to the animals of this earth to make our kills are as quick and humane as possible. Thats why I switched to the Rage 3 Blade last year. It has a larger cutting area than the Muzzys I have used for the last 15 years, and to me that just means if I do my job right, the animal wont suffer too long. I am absolutely without a doubt un-biased on this topic. Whichever you decide to use, make sure you keep them sharp. Don't shoot it 2 dozen times at your target and then put it back in your quiver for hunting. Lets all be ethical hunters, and make sure to pass the love you have for the outdoors on to our next generation. Good luck to all of you this season!