HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Custom Rifle....help me build it
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 12:12 PM
schoolcraft
Fork Horn

Default Custom Rifle....help me build it

So when tax return money comes in spring of next year, I finally got it cleared with the wife to have a custom rifle built or have one customized.
I'm mainly a deer and hog hunter, so caliber choice will be something fitting for that. I've always thought it would be cool to own a .280.....Maybe a 7mm. Rem. Mag. Not sure on that one yet. Even still considering the old .30-06.
I keep getting told it's hard to beat a Remington 700 action as far as accuracy. I've had them in the past and they've been good. I've also always like how the CRF of my Ruger rifles shucks those cartriges in and out, but gunsmiths tell me a Ruger action is harder to pillar bed thus it's harder for them to crank out all the accuracy available.
My local gunsmith likes to use Shillen barrels, but I hear good things about most all other custom barrel makers. (Hart, Kreiger, ect.)
Then comes the stock. I want a high quality synthetic or laminate. McMillan EDGE or something similar.

Any opinions on caliber, action, barrel, and stock would be greatly appreciated.