HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - honeysuckle
Thread: honeysuckle
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 12:43 PM
M.Magis
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by haystack
Because it is a recommended plant in the south, and SW, VA is in the south.

No doubt it's as many people hate Jap honeysuckle as love it. The state Government of VA hates it, but yet turns a blind eye to the fact that this state has lost 521,000 acres of farmland between 2002-2007. Since 1992 over 615,000 acres of forest land has been lost all mainly due to development, paved over forever. But lets rail and whine over Japanese Honeysuckle? Give me a break! This is the height of IGNORANCE!!!!
So because land is being lost to development, let’s go ahead and hamper what we have left by planting a very invasive plant that has zero value? THAT is ignorance if I’ve ever heard it. Actually, ignorance implies you don’t know any better. You do, so it’s just plain dumb.
shetzy911, there are numerous plants that benefit wildlife, though exactly which ones would be best depend on the type of habitat you want to plant them in. There are a few fast producing oak trees to choose from, and some soft mast trees that deer love. Blackberry bushes provide decent cover and the deer eat the berries, though I wouldn't consider it all that beneficial or attractive. Lots to choose from that neighboring farmers won't be fighting with 30 years down the road. I'm guessing haystack hasn't spent any time trying to rebuild cattle fence completely covered in Japanese honeysuckle.