HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bowhunting
Thread: Bowhunting
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 10:19 AM
rogerstv
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by brushbustin
If you guys don't mind,how many years have you been bowhunting??? And how many deer have you lost as a result of bowhunting?? Be honest and tell the truth..Because i find that most bowhunters won't admit the true number.As for loseing deer to gun hunting.....Sure it can happen,but not very often,I've been gun hunting since I have been 12..im 22 now and I have never lost any deer I have ever shot with my gun,that goes for ML also..So yeah,it can happen,but your chances are pretty slim if you put the bullet where it needs to go..I practed for almost a full year before taking my first deer hunt..I am an excellent shot,and i started shooting in 3D tournaments,and I think im doing pretty well,so no its not my shooting! I believe it is just the bow and arrow.
To answer your questions;

I've been bowhunting for 25 years. I've lost plenty of deer both gun and bow. If I had to count, probably between 10 - 15. More have been lost from bow shots than gun. The two biggest bucks I have ever shot at were crippled by me with a shotgun. I get sick just like most people. It is not why I am there. I hate it.

I have killed way more than crippled. I have seen a lot of my arrow shot animals run as fast as they can for 20 - 60 yards, stop, waggle, and die. It lasts all of 20 - 30 seconds!

I try to be very conscience as to my shot placement and patient with both weapons. That is a result of lost animals and that sinking feeling in my gut.

The point I want to make is a bad shot is usually the result of the shooter and not the equipment. All of my deer were lost by my sh1tty shooting. No fault of the gun or bow! Cut vanes at 40 yards all you want. That shows your equipment is fine and that you can hit a stationary target. That animal is not sitting still like a target and does not have a bullseye on its hide. Big difference. Touchy subject for me. I agree with others and am glad you are giving up the sport! TRUST ME IT IS YOUR SH1TTY SHOOTING TOO!