HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bear defense gun
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 07:45 PM
kmehr87
Spike

Default Bear defense gun

So I am new to the forum, seems like a great place for advice!

Anyways, I wanted some opinions on a good bear defense gun. I had an run in with a big griz in Glacier two years ago that kept pestering us in the middle of the night. Never been closer to browing my shorts in my life haha. I am looking for something to carry while hiking, and since I am off to the wilds to fight forest fires after graduation, this is more of an issue.

Right after the incident I bought an 870 rem 12 ga mag with an 18 in barrel and a sling for this purpose. Wanted to get some advice on this gun, or another I am considering. The other gun I am considering is a Ruger Superredhawk alaskan in 454 casull.

I shoot clay targets a lot with my 870 and my 30in barrel, so i am very comfortable with that gun, and have never shot anything bigger than a 45 in hand gun, but I don't know if carrying a long gun with a 70 lb pack is the best set up.

My grandfather was in the forest service out west (montana) and he said that some of the guys he knew carried 12 gauges, the first being big bird shot aimed at the face to blind the bear then followed by some realy nasty slugs.

I have some other guns I never shoot that I could trade for the Alaskan so that is not a real issue. Thoughts?

Last edited by kmehr87; 10-13-2009 at 07:55 PM.