HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Virginia Black Bears.....
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 09:11 AM
mackesr
Typical Buck

Default Virginia Black Bears.....

Over the past several years we have been seeing more and more bear sign out in the piedmont section of Va. It used to be a big deal whenever we ran across some bear sign, but now were are pretty much used to it. I had a bear decimate a six pointer that I xbow killed last saturday and pretty much ruined most of the meat. A good friend of mine was hunting in Orange Co. yesterday morning and shot a nice 220lbs. Bear with his Tenpoint Titan TL4. He actually shot three arrows at the bear exactly one week earlier. He shot over its back at 35 yards the first shot, the second shot deflected off a branch and landed at the bears feet and the third shot was very high and only took out some hair. A week later at the same time and location the bear came back through and this time my friend shot it at twenty yards. It only ran sixty yards and piled up right next to the logging road. He was shooting the ten point carbon arrows with the 100gr. Spitfires. The arrow never came out the other side and broke off inside the bear. Thankfully there was no tracking to be done since the bear did not go far. When gutting it I was amazed how tough the hide was. I have not read much on bear hunting with archery equipment and was wondering what bear hunters usually use for broadheads. Any input would be appreciated. I hope to have a picture or two to provide soon. Bud-