HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)
Old 10-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Scott/IL
Nontypical Buck

GR8---I read your thread on the "other" site on Saturday. I never have really believed the old saying "Don't pass on the first day what you would shoot on the last day". Better to be patient and lean towards the side of caution than release an arrow at an animal you are unsure of. Good decision making on your part, and I believe that patience will pay off for you before it's over with.

With all the crops still in around here (I HATE RAIN!!!), I opted to head out to the big public land and get into the deep woods. I carried my Ameristep hang on and sticks in and got them set up in a funnel where 3 trails run into a tight 20 yard area. About 7 years ago me and my dad each killed wallhanger bucks here within 1 week of each other.

I was still getting my binos, rangefinder, etc. situated (bow is still on the ground), and I looked up the trail and here came 3 does not 1 minute after I climbed into the stand. I just let them walk instead of trying to get my bow up and missed my first crack at a deer this year. The rest of the night was filled with a few young bucks passing through and then 2 small does walking about 90 yards away.

Trail cams are not producing any shooters as the deer have pretty well came off the beans and are sticking pretty tight to the standing corn on the farm. I have a few key areas that I keep away until November, but might just have to break them out since they are very close to some of the corn. I am done working weekends though until early December, so I will be out every Saturday and Sunday until my vacation starts, and then the pressure is ON!