HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - pointer help
Thread: pointer help
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 10:14 PM
birddog3412
Fork Horn

Default birds

Originally Posted by realtree88
not knocking anyones training advice. but get some pigeons plant them. let the pup point them or if she doesn't point them pop the bird out of the launcher when the dog runs by the bird. and let your dog chase it. repeat until your dog is crazy about birds. let her chase them as much as she wants. and dont start whoa training around birds. start it out on a barrel or post or something. and dont start whoa training your dog on quail. because if you make a mistake around quail. you cant go back to them. so start off with pigeons. and then when there broke on pigeons. then introduce to quail. and another reason to start with pigeons. if you do make a mistake. and your dog starts blinking pigeons. you can correct it with quail. if you make a mistake with quail. and im assuming that you hunt quail with your dog. and she starts blinking quail. then you got a problem. because when you go to hunt quail. your dogs not gonna wanna point them. because your dog made a bad connection with quail. and thinking if i point that im gonna get in trouble.
I agree with this alot, it is mainly about building prey drive. Also I do not think you should say whoa to a dog around birds unless he is whoa broke.