HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pulling out all of the stops!
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 02:20 PM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Jeff I've hunted four times this year already. One my WORST hunt... I saw 11 deer... in three hours of hunting... I've had shot opportunities every single time.... and have taken one really big doe (lots of small bucks and fawns.... big does seem to always have a tree between them and I).

Last night (sat), I saw 20 deer between 330pm and 645pm. Had 7 come within 25 yards.... always either too thick or had another one looking at me... just how it goes with bow hunting.

The only calls I've had deer responding too are bleats... especially fawn bleats. I don't fool with rattling... never done much of anything for me except scare deer off. I'm sure it works.... just not for me.

I have used a climber exclusively and frankly, I prefer it to everything else. The reason being is that the deer never get used to it. I keeps them from changing their travel paths around often hunted stands. Even if I only move down 20-30 yards from two days before, I think it helps immensely. I try to leave as little impact on the woods as possible... going in and coming out and hunting. I like the snake in the grass/fly on the wall approach. Pop up/take away ground blinds offer the same advantage... and it allows you to still hunt an area regardless of the wind because you can always get on the downwind side of a trail or funnel... as long as you can approach it from downwind also.

The deer I have been seeing have been mainly on acorns... pin oaks in a dryed up creek bottom. They have been moving through a setion of cutover and up into white oaks and even still out into the rapidly yellowing beans. I saw the first good buck of the year last night (after dark). I walked out into the field with the headlamp and flashlight and saw a deer throw its head up about 80 yards away. I got a wild hare and just kept the surefire on it and walked right at. The 9pointer let me get to about 15 yards before he even lifted his head (and I wasn't sneaking... I was walking). He just walked on off... you can hide exceptionally well behind a light... he was never even aware what was up.

I don't mess with hunting in bedding areas at all. I let the deer have their bedrooms as their own... but on the way out and at the dinner table... I take no prisoners. I've watched deer lay down in the middle of the acorn flats from a distance this year anyway. This time of year... I don't think the deer really have one specific bedding area.. I think they just move off their food source, in the downwind direction a couple hundred yards and find a nice spot to have a rest.

I know this is going to sound backwards... but I have been hunting on the downwind side of the fields and acorns. In otherwords.. my scent is blowing from the field or acorns to the deer... rather than from the deer out to the field where I won't be winded. Its a long shot... and you have to position yourself so the deer will be crosswind (if possible) of you... because the deer are dang near ALWAYS going to approach the feeding areas from downwind... so if you are on the upwind side... if you even see a deer at all.... it will likely be at a distance.