HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Will light spook deer.
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 02:29 PM
CamoCop
Nontypical Buck

i've been using a white light for years with no deer being spooked. a couple weeks ago i walked up on 2 deer while walking to my stand about 45 minutes before daylight. the 2 deer stood there looking at me for about 15 minutes trying to figure out what i was. i'm assuming they did not smell me because they did not associate me with danger until i started walking towards them. i walked up to about 15 yards from them before they finally turned and trotted off. after only being in my stand for 20 or so minutes, the same 2 deer walked under my stand unspooked. i don't think light has anything to do with spooking deer, i think it is a combination of the deer smelling and hearing you. the different color lights are just another gimmick to seperate hunters from their money.

on another note, growing up here in Florida it is legal to shine deer with a spot light. my parents use to take us out to the woods to shine deer as family outtings. out of the hundreds of times we did this and the tens of thousands of deer we seen....not one spooked after being lit up with a 1 million candle watt power spot light. it's your scen and movement that spooks deer, not light.