HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lab does not want to hunt for the gun...
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 08:36 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Sit to Flush definition IMO - dog its upon the bird is pushed (flushed) into the air.

Dad had a Springer trained like this. And this is the same as Steady to Wing and Shot that we use on our pointing dogs. Difference is the dog flushes the bird we do not.

Reason I like this. Provides a safe shooting for the gunner and protects the dog no matter what level the bird is flying and thus you can take just about anyone hunting.

Been long time discussions that people want the dog to chase the bird for cripples upon the shot - however again IMO (ain't starting no doggy fights here) it is up to the owner.

Me I want that dog to stay put and I release the dog for the retrieve - it is not the dog's decision. Release can be done verbally on a well trained dog but to get there I actually tap the dog on the head as this is black and white to the dog. I need to touch dog to send the dog for the retrieve.

That is how I train and I train like I hunt and Hunt like I train. There is no difference.

JW

Last edited by JW; 10-08-2009 at 09:08 AM.