HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Changing Broadheads...!! How do people like Rage...
Old 10-07-2009, 07:53 PM
gtousey
Spike

I've played with so many different broadheads I would need two posts to list em all. I've never shot anything bigger then a deer, but I've hit good and bad with fixed blade, cut-on-contact fixed, cut-on-contact mechanicals, and regular mechanicals.

The non-scientific results are that I can acheive excellent penetration with any head if I connect with the vital area and nothing more then a rib bone.

But if you want to feel confident that you're going to have a good blood trail then put 100% of the KE you generate into punching through the deer no matter where you hit it, and the only way to do that IMO is with a cut-on-contact fixed blade broadhead.

That being said I also spend an unbelievable amount of time making sure my bow is tuned to perfection, because when you shoot fixed blades you will see more flight varience then you will with mechanicals. So the trade off IMO is that mechanicals will allow you to place the shot more accurately with less range time then will a fixed head.

Personally if some of these new heads didn't cost so dang much I'd be playing with them too, but try a lot and make your own mind up on how they perform for you.

The pro at my shop in NW Ill used a Rage when they first came out and said he hit a nice buck and the head never opened ? Not sure how he knew that but he wasn't in any mood to discuss it further - he was equipping all his arrows with fixed blades.