HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fall Wild Turkey Hunting Season Cancelled in Arkansas
Old 10-07-2009, 11:22 AM
superstrutter
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GRIZZLYMAN
I don't know where exactly you hunt in La, Superstrutter, but I hunt five miles north of Junction City, and have seen as many this year as I ever have in the last few years. The biggest problem isn't the hunters, it is predadation, IMO.

The AGFC has refused to change rules regarding open season on predators and I believe this to be the biggest problem. In other words, in Texas, where I live, there is no closed season on predators and feral pigs, which destroy habitat and eggs. In Arkansas, you are limited to open hunting seasons to kill predators.
I actually hunt just 6 miles south of Junction City, in Lillie, LA. I'm glad you are seeing more this year. At least that's some good news. A little further east of you is where I'm talking about. Preditors are tough on eggs and poults, but that's everywhere. Preditors aren't near as bad on adult turkeys. A very small percent of adult turkeys are taken by preditors. The biggest problem, at least in Union Parish, is the loss of habitat. So much clear cutting is going on. As long as I'm hunting, I will never clear cut my property.