HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rut Question
Thread: Rut Question
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 06:46 AM
solocamcan
Nontypical Buck

I found the following information that seems spot on, you can make your own conclusions.

"Any worthy biologist will tell you that anecdotal data from hunters have value, but that biologists need quantitative data from scientific research to draw sound conclusions. Obviously, buck-to-doe ratios, a herd’s age structure, weather conditions, the general condition of the does, genetics and hunting conditions all play role in the rut. Just how much? Who knows? But maybe this is where both sides can find common ground? As Alsheimer told me, “The rut equation is most likely 80 percent photoperiod with the remaining 20 percent heavily influenced by the Hunter’s Moon.”

Overall, I really believe we may be simply splitting hairs with this topic. Although the subject is very interesting, who cares? If the moon guides work for you, then by all means, use them. The moon raises many questions simply cannot answer and many people, myself included, believe the moon must have something to do with deer movements and the rut. Just how much is the real question? As bowhunter Steve Keithley from Maryland says, “In my parts of the country, the rut will be in and around the second week of November, so if you have 10 minutes to hunt, then hunt!”

I agree. Whether photoperiod or the moon phase deserves credit, the rutting action might be happening in your woods, but only 5 miles away it could be nonexistent. Sound familiar? Bottom line is, you’ll never know unless you’re in the woods!"