HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - H&R's Ultra Slug Guns
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 12:08 PM
BigJ71
Site Bouncer

I also have the H&R USHD in 12ga and it will without a doubt give you rifle accuracy. Mine absolutely loves Winchester Platinum Tip Sabot slugs (400gr 1700fps) and I have it sighted in at 100yds. I know from practice and listed ballistics that when zeroed in at 100yds my slug will drop only 5in at 150yds. I have no doubt this set up will kill deer reliably at 200yds however I limit my shots to 150yds and under. My longest kill to date with it is 143yds.

I've been switching off between it and my Ruger SBH Hunter for the Illinois gun season and while I'll bring it this year it will most likely stay in the truck as I'll be using the revolver this year.

Buy this gun with confidence as it will not let you down.

I only experienced one negative with the USHD and that was with the ejector. There was a lot of internet speculation about what the deal was with some failing to eject and it was almost like the shell was stuck in the chamber.

Mine was the same way but it had nothing to do with the chamber but the ejector instead. It appeared that some slug guns left the factory with metal shavings left in the ejector slot and the ejectors themselves were not quite machined as good as they should have been. This caused the ejector to stick and the only way to remove the shell was to push it out with a rod from the muzzle.

A lot of folks sent them back to be repaired as they could not figure out what was wrong (thinking it was a tight chamber issue) I figured it out and took apart the ejector assy. (tapped out a pin) cleaned out all the metal shavings (from the machining process) from the ejector slot, then smoothed out the ejector on a sharpening stone. I then reassembled it and it's ejecting shells across the room!

I don't know if it was only a certain run of guns with this problem or if it still happens but with a little time (about 2hrs) and basic tools, I had it working fine.

While it was a little pain in the neck to diagnose and fix, it still doesn't detract from how great these slug guns are. I've spent more time upgrading and accessorizing some of my guns that it took to fix this one.

BTW, mine has the laminated stock with the long forearm.

Last edited by BigJ71; 10-06-2009 at 01:01 PM.