HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - H&R's Ultra Slug Guns
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 06:14 PM
uncle matt
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Absolute Giant
All right guys. Uncle Matt pointed out that he likes the longer forearm and gave us pictures to illustrate. Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like the longer forearm is only available in the Traditional American Walnut Stock. I thought a laminate stock would be nice but after looking at H&R's website it appears that the laminate stock is only available with the shorter forearm (Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe and Ultra Slug Hunter Thumbhole Stock). Is this correct or can you get the longer forearm in laminate? What do most of you guys have, the longer forearm with traditional American Walnut Stock or the laminate stock with shorter forearm? I thought laminate would weather better vs the other, just surprised I didn't see the longer forearm available in a laminated stock. If you guys had the extra $ would you buy the thumbhole stock? I've never owned a gun with a thumbhole stock, thought it might be nice. Any negatives to having a thumbhole stock?

Thanks guys for making this decision easier.
Someone correct me if I am wrong but with the laminated camo you will get the longer front stock and both stocks will be checkered.

I have found that regardless of laminated camo or hardwood, H&R puts a very durable finish on them both.

Myself, I was intrested in a thumbholer but once I shouldered one it just wasn't for me. It didn't feel right. I like hunting shotguns to have a grip which is more horizontal than vertical. I can go with a more vertical grip for tactical shotguns.

Here's my latest H&R 12.