HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Oregon Rifle
Thread: Oregon Rifle
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 04:17 AM
elgallo114
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by F_O_R_E_S_T
Thank you very much for your help. I am new to this site and will be talking to many of you asking advice. I am planning for next years hunt now so I will be prepared and get a good buck for my 1st kill.

Off topic a little. I think the best way to prepare for next years hunt is to find a buddy who is willing to have you ruin his hunt and go screw it all up this year if you can.

Seriously. You're gonna have a hard time preparing for something you don't know much about. At least if you've tried it, and had someone there to kinda point you in the right direction, you have something to build off of. And you might just get lucky. It happens all the freakin time.

As for which rifle. It sounds like you shoot a lot already. So pick the one you are already most comfortable with and forget about nit picking. .270, 30-06... Toss up. Don't tell anyone else I said this, but those cartridges are about the same in effectiveness and popularity. Flip a coin if you don't have one or the other already. If you do, pick a very comfortable sling and go. You could read and prepare yourself to death here!! It's a great place to find info, don't get me wrong. But "Boots Dirty" is the only way you'll figure out what the hell you're doing. Trust me.