HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dry firing--
Thread: Dry firing--
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 07:58 AM
8mm/06
Nontypical Buck

Good thread. And possibly one that can save some forum members some money. I have mostly bolt actions and have been told that dry firing bolt actions is fine, ... in fact I practice it for trigger feel, knowledge, and control.

However, as others have stated dry firing rimfires is a no-no, and I've also been told (as has also been said here) to not dry fire my double Stevens/Savage 311.

Now for my question ... What is the best sage gunsmith advice about all other kinds of firearms? Shotguns that are not doubles? Shotguns in general? Are there some shotguns wherein this is OK and others not? I would guess that my bolt action High Standard 16 ga might be safe to dry fire .. but I don't cuz I don't know about it.

What about pistols? Obviously rimfire pistols should be a no-no, but what about my centerfire Makarovs? A 1911 .45?

And I've also been instructed not to dry-fire my centerfire revolvers. My S&W 657 in 41 Mag and my Taurus 357. Why? What is the damage to the hammer/firing pin, cylinder? I don't but really don't know exactly why I don't and shouldn't. Would love to be informed.

I'm guessing my center-fire bolt Muzzle-loader (Traditions Lightning) might be safe to dry fire, but i don't know?

I only dry fire my center-fire bolt actions at this point because I've never had enough information to do otherwise.
But I thought this might evoke some good discussion and yield some good advice and knowledge.

Please jump in with your advice and information including specific models of firearms and the damage risked by improper treatment.

Last edited by 8mm/06; 10-03-2009 at 08:02 AM.