HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2nd Time Ever Bow Hunting....And I Spooked My Deer!
Old 10-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Aquakeeper
Spike

Default 2nd Time Ever Bow Hunting....And I Spooked My Deer!

So I finally found someone that will let me hunt there small wooded area for bow hunting a few nights a week. It backs up to a huge state park so there are some deer in there to be taken.

My first time was yesterday and I saw a few right as it got dark and as I was coming in another guy who was hunting a few hundred yards on the opposite side had taken a doe.

So today I went out and had the woods to myself this time. I don't have a treestand and pretty much go out and sit near some natural cover and wait. After 2 hrs of sitting I notice to my left some movement and I can see a doe coming in behind a tree. Its about 15yrs out but behind some thick bushes and a tree but is coming my way. I wait it out and slowly she comes closer to closer and is probably within 10yrs if that and I'm just waiting to take a shot. Only problem is that she is looking in my direction and I can tell she thinks somthing is up but isn't spooked yet. Im waiting for her to turn her head or do somthing to give me a oppurtunity to draw my bow. So finally she walks a few more feet and turns away so I draw my bow and shes gone like the wind...

How am I soppost to be able to get a shot off in the sitting position from the ground with little to conceal my movement. It was awesome how close of a shot I would of been able to make but it was almost like it was too close to even do anything but sit perfectly still. Should I have drawn my bow back as soon as I saw her and just waited hopeing she was going to come my way?
Im new to this so need some advice.

Im still bummed I didn't get to take a shot